Sunday, August 21, 2011

A dirty little secret . . .

The time has come to tackle a long overdue project in the Laundry Room:  Replacing the water valves and drain unit for the washing machine.

The old valves were corroded from the chemical reaction of several kinds of metal connected improperly.  The thing was unsightly and gave me the creeps, so I would ignore it until it got so dusty that I had no choice but to throw a rag in there and make a feeble attempt to wipe it.  But really, such an ugly sight would hardly serve as inspiration for the task at hand!


To replace it, my husband had to cut out the old pipes and install new plumbing.  Then, of course, he repaired the wall.  That poor guy, I tease him that his life wouldn't be complete unless he got to open up a wall in our house, at least once a year. 


The new plastic casing is white, not almond-colored, like the old one.  We would never have replaced the casing with all the accompanying work just for the color, so this is such a nice little bonus! That almond color was just so . . . so eighties!


Oh, and naturally, we had to paint the walls . . .  Is there such a thing as a “little” home improvement project . . . ?

I'm joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.  Please stop by and check out some wonderful transformations in home improvement.

10 comments:

Jojo said...

Hi Maria, Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. Sunflowers look so happy to me and I really enjoy them.

Good for you for tackling a behind the scenes project. Sometimes these are the ones we are least likely to deal with because they aren't in the public eye but generally these are the ones that bother us the most.

Have a wonderful week!

Maggie Lamarre said...

Maria,
wow I never think of the valves on my washing machine, it's time I go investigate... yours came out beautifully...
I will be honored if you will share it with our readers in our linking party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/08/11-million-visitors-with-new-london-eye.html
Thank you,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Unknown said...

Ugh! We have the same ugly THING! I hate looking at it EVERY day. Yours looks nice and clean. 8^)

Hill House Creations said...

Wow, what a difference that made. I'm currently blessed with the ugly almond cover casing. Never looks clean drives me batty.

Amanda said...

Don't you love improvement projects? It seems like we are constantly doing something around here. Your insert and valves turned out nice! I bet it is a good feeling to know it is done :)

Suzy said...

That made a huge difference! Very nice and I wish my hubby would help with projects. Your so lucky!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was just standing in front of my washer waiting for the load to stop and staring at our disgusting connections...I thought for a minute you crept into my laundry area and took your before pic. LOL

I was literally wondering if those things could be replaced. GREAT post and great timing!

Oh, and yours turned out wonderful. I'm definitely going to hit the hubster up.

Marlis said...

Wow what a lesson and it looks soo good now.. Love the way he fixed it up.. sorry he had to tear out the whole wall though.. xoxo marlis

Nicki said...

little fixes can make a big difference. I would like to borrow your husband - mine isn't too keen on fixing things. :)

Thank you for the kind words and empathy of my baby-off-to-college growing pains. I don't remember being this tired after giving birth to her.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Thanks for stopping by, Maria! Your comment is much appreciated. Btw, you've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you share your creative posts at my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there :)