Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tea with a Tropical Flair

How do you keep your annual tea party from becoming predictable?  Give it a tropical twist! 


Here's the menu:  Chicken Potato Salad Cups, Cucumber Cilantro Sandwiches, Ham Bites, Beef-filled Puff Pastries, Flan Squares, Guava Pastries, Lime-Rum Cupcakes, China Oolong Tea . . .


The hibiscus gift boxes from The Container Store were perfect for the party favors (an assortment of single-serving packets of loose tea and a pair of sugar tongs).  Tea parties must have cubed sugar - how else would you be able to ask “One lump or two?”


I kept the table settings very simple to let the flowers take center stage.  Robert, my friend and florist, has been making arrangements for me since my wedding 27 years ago.  He's the most patient and creative man imaginable . . . I asked him for tropical and femenine . . . exotic and ethereal . . . Not too bad, huh?


The centerpieces were composed of oncidium orchids (yellow), dendrobium orchids (magenta), cymbidium orchids (chartreuse), gardenias and white hypericum berries.  Tea leaves were placed directly on the table to connect the three arrangements . . .


The oncidium orchids were tall, but wispy and did not block the view across the table . . .


Robert angled the oncidium on the two end pieces to make sure that they would not block the view.


And here are the lovely ladies that came to tea . . .


We didn't want the afternoon to end!

I'm joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.  Please stop by and visit today to see some wonderfully creative and beautiful tables.

9 comments:

Reds said...

Glad to see you back posting!! And what a beautiful table!! Wish I was closer to come and have tea!!

Marlis said...

Your tea party is absolutely lovely. The flowers are soo pretty. I love orchids and that arrangement is most lovely. Many blessings, marlis

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful table! Lovely orchids here! Great shots.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Rettabug said...

What a gorgeous & very thoughtful table you set for your friends, Maria! Your china is very elegant & those floral arrangements were just the perfect airy touch. Yes, "ethereal" describes them perfectly.

I know your friends greatly appreciated your efforts & you made some wonderful memories for them.

fondly,
Rett

susan said...

Maria-So nice to meet you! Your florist hit the nail on the head! I had to strain my eyes but your menu sounds delicious!! What lucky ladies to be on your guest list!! Thanks for stopping by to see the party!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. So kind of you to stop by my new blog and your kind comments. Those orchids are gorgeous. the meu looks delish..... memories are what makes us look forward to more....

Veronica
www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful table Maria and a fun way to surprise your guest with a tropical tea!!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Maria, I have been away and see that I missed a wonderful party! I'm sure my invite must be in the huge stack of unread mail :) The menu sounds yummy! I do like flan! And cucumber cilantro sandwiches!! Perfect for a tea party. Did you save a party favor for me? Linda

Nicki said...

Ok, I've been doing too much Disney because the first thing I saw with your first picture was Mickey Mouse - oy vae! Gorgeous table - I can smell the fragrance.