Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tea Bread Tuesday: Cranberried Lemon Yogurt Bread

I was very proud of myself with this one: I didn't have to purchase a single item to make this bread. Do you ever have one of those days when you are determined to clean out your pantry because you are tired of looking at the same item day after day, week after week . . . month after month . . . (cringe!) . . . ? Well, I confess, those Craisins had been sitting in my cabinet since Christmas. Then the lemons . . . I paid 50¢ for each a week ago, and, unlike my $3 lime spree of a month ago, this dollar weighed heavily on my conscience . . . Then, I had a fourth of a tub of plain non-fat yogurt left in the fridge, just enough for one cup . . . exactly what this recipe called for . . .


You would never guess that this was a "left-over" solution. The bread was simply delicious! It was moist, had a fine texture - I'm finding that I generally prefer a fine texture in my tea breads - and the flavor was just right!

The Ocean Spray website has many excellent cranberry recipes. Here's the link, if you'd like to try it: http://oceanspray.com/recipes/Cranberried_Lemon_Yogurt_Bread.aspx?id=258&nid=5

7 comments:

Nicki said...

Well now I'm feeling guilty to pitching some misc. items from the fridge and cabinet. But not too bad! :) You'll have to do better to top that pasta dish - I start THE diet tomorrow, but somehow I've got to figure how to make pasta fit.

pat said...

Oh, I see some baking in my future! I've never met a carb I didn't like, and add cranberries and lemon and I'm in heaven! THANKS!!!!!

Suzy said...

When I get sick of looking at my old food, I toss it lol.. Making something out of it all takes some real talent (trust me). This looks soo yummy!

Reds said...

Mmmmmm - love lemon and cranberries - will have to try this!!

Angela2932 said...

This sounds like a great, refreshing, combination. . . the lemon and the cranberries. But, oh, Maria! That pasta salad! A true winner. I'm about to have some for lunch!

Yolanda said...

I always walk away from your blog hungry! LOL! That bread looks delish!

Barb said...

That sounds really good. That happens to me all of the time but usually try and get by because I am so far from a grocery store.