Monday, July 22, 2013

Ocean Dreams Tablescape

My dear, dear brother and sister-in-law, Robert and Barb, came to Chicago for a family reunion, and we invited them to dinner so we could have them all to ourselves and catch up before the rest of the family descended.  It was a cozy dinner for just the four of us.  It's summer, so with beachy thoughts in my head, the inspiration couldn't be anything but the ocean . . . 

This table came together so easily!  I already owned everything I needed, so it was just a matter of putting things together.  There's no stress at the beach!  It's a rule!  I started out with the white homespun tablecloth that's become an indespensable go-to item in my tablescaping arsenal . . .  I used this tablecloth here, for Easter.

The tablecloth was followed by Barcelona seagrass placemats from Crate and Barrel . . .


I love the color and the weave . . . and feels like it belongs with beachy things . . .


Then I used my ever-reliable white Traditions dinner plates from Williams-Sonoma, followed by glass Orion salad plates from Crate and Barrel . . .  I bought these salad plates ages ago, and I could kick myself for not having bought more.  The rippling is reminiscent of the ocean . . . how perfect can it get?


I fell in love with these soft, crossed-dyed napkins from Pottery Barn.  The color is called Blue Opal, and it seems fitting considering the many shades of blue that form the fabric, just like the ever-changing colors of the ocean . . .


A beautiful marine blue for the water goblets . . .


I picked up the fresh limonium at my local supermarket.  It reminded me of seaweed growing on the ocean floor, and I liked how the purple looked with the other blues on the table . . . 


Mr. Octopus guarding the salt and pepper cellars . . .


Red pepper flakes to go with the spicy menu . . . 


I pulled out my lantern and kept layering the blues by adding some sea glass pebbles . . . I first used this lantern in my first Watermelon table.  I love its shape and the fact that it works with so many different tables.


More whimsy with these mini-bottles of Tabasco sauce from World Market . . . I tend to go easy with the spices on the food, and offer guests a variety of ways to crank up the heat to their own taste . . .


The table is set . . .  Now for the menu:

Bacon Corn Muffins
Caesar Salad
Shrimp Creole, Cuban-style
Brown Rice
Baked sweet potato fries

And for dessert . . . Lime mousse topped with a dark chocolate/macadamia dolphin . . .


And the most important touch of all . . . wonderful family and lively conversation!  Here is my brother-in-law nibbling on fish crackers while we waited for dinner to be ready . . . 


One last look at the table . . .


Wishing you ocean dreams . . .

5 comments:

Nicki said...

Some how I have totally missed hopping over to your blog of recent - boy am I glad I did today. Beach table - next best thing of being there - only missing the sand. Love the octopus napkin ring and salt and pepper holder - too cute!

Hope you are having a wonderful summer.

Alycia Nichols said...

Hi there, Maria!!!!!! I think this is absolutely fabulous!!! And you did it all with things you already had on hand??!?! That makes it just that much MORE fabulous!!! Less stress when you don't have to fun out and find "the perfect thing"...because everything you had was already perfect for this setting!!!

All the octopus accessories are just too, too cute, and I love the baby Tabasco sauce bottles! Great job! Glad you guys had a good time!!! Enjoy your week!

Barb said...

It was a beach theme but I might say an elegant beach theme. The dinner was wonderful and the best part was the company. Thanks Maria for inviting us. Look how happy Bob looks holding that bowl of crackers.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hola, Maria. Shrimp creole, Cuban style...I haven't had that or thought of it for YEARS, and now I want to have it NOW! It's such a delicious dish! Your table is perfect for your menu! I'm sure your meal was enjoyed by all! ~Zuni

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Maria! I just love your beachy table! I have that octopus salt and pepper set too. Isn't it fun? That was a great idea to add the red pepper flakes. Looks like you had a wonderful time with your family. Linda