Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tea Bread Tuesday: Halloween Spice Cake

I found this recipe on the Food Network months ago. I couldn't wait for Halloween to try it out. Then, I read the reviews and there were several comments about the cake turning out dry. I couldn't bear another dry cake after last week's muffins, so I altered the recipe.


I left out the applesauce and oil, and added 1 stick of butter and 8-oz. of sour cream.

The resulting cake was so moist! I followed Giada's spice quantities to the letter. Oh, my! Cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves . . . and a most delightful surprise . . . cocoa powder. Watch out for little gobblins eating this all up!
Have a slice of this cake with a cup of Twinings Lady Grey tea. You are in for a treat!

9 comments:

Chell said...

Sounds yummy!!

Nicki said...

a stick of butter AND sour cream - man, you weren't taking any chances were you! LOL! It looks and sounds delightful and you get extra points for the witch decoration. Very nice!

Reds said...

Mmmm- love all the spices going on in this bread!

Margaret said...

Sounds delicious! Love the witch decoration, too!

Barb said...

This might be nice to make for Thanksgiving also.

Suzy said...

Very cool that you know how to alter recipes! When I try to alter them the outcome is never good lol! Looks and sounds yummy!

janett said...

That looks yummy, and I love your witch decoration behind it!

Yolanda said...

Yummmmm and how amazing are you that you can alter a recipe and it still taste good!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

that looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I'm gonna have to try the recipe with your suggestions.