Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Year of Tea Breads

I just watched the film Julie and Julia. I know, where have I been? This is particularly sad because my first cookbook was “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” and I love Julia Child's recipes, although I've never attemped to make every single one of them, like Julie in the movie does.

Instead, I am now inspired with a different goal: I will dedicate one day a week for the next year to making tea bread. I like tea breads. I like their simplicity, evoking everything good about home life: A rainy afternoon with a cup of tea and a slice of strawberry bread . . . a snowy January day with a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of apple bread . . .This concentrated effort is my attempt to make all of the tea bread recipes that I've collected through the years and never got around to trying out. So, that's 52 weeks, 52 recipes; a modest goal, compared to Julie's effort, but a realistic one for me. This feature will appear on the blog on Tuesdays - Tea Bread Tuesday. I hope you'll stop in and visit.

I'm so excited that this first entry, Blueberry Lemon Bread, also happens to be a winner!


The lemon flavor is subtle, it's not overly sweet, and the texture is fine. Very moist! I'll make this one again (but not this year).

I got this one from allrecipes.com. Here's the link: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/blueberry-lemon-bread-2/Detail.aspx.

7 comments:

Suzy said...

I'm glad I just ate. Otherwise I couldn't handle looking at this! They look sooo yummy!!

Reds said...

Mmmm - that sure looks yummy!! Will try this for sure!!

Kelly said...

If you would like to make those for me, we will be happy to sample for you... Looks so good!

Barb said...

I really enjoyed that movie. I thought it was very inspirational. When I watch cooking shows I also get inspired. The tea bread looks good.

Anita Diaz said...

I'm so happy you stopped by and brought me to your lovely blog! LOVE your July 4th table! Those napkins are gorgeous too. I *need* to try tea bread. I try to not eat bread because I love it so much, but that looks too good to pass up!

Tricia said...

Ooh, I wish I were your next-door neighbor for the next year! I could "conveniently" drop by on baking day! This tea bread looks divine.

Barbara said...

Maria, that looks delicious! What a wonderful goal. I look forward to seeing all your tea breads. I loved that movie too and found it to be so inspirational. I don't do much baking during our hot summers but that lemon blueberry bread may tempt me.