Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tea Bread Tuesday: Almond Bread - Celebrating Epiphany

From YourDictionary.com:
al- (al)

the: used in words of Arabic origin: algebra, alchemy, al-Mansur
Origin: < Ar al
al- (al, əl)

Hmm . . . as in alcohol . . . or alabaster . . . or almonds . . .

Almonds always remind me of marzipan, and the Three Kings Day . . . The Magi purportedly came from the Middle East and Asia, where almonds were cultivated from early days . . . It's fun to imagine that along with gold, myrrh and frankincense, the Magi may have brought some almonds to the Baby Jesus . . . . (which, of course, Mary would have had to turn into almond milk . . . ).  I had a college professor once in a Sociology class, who spent two days pondering what was likely to have been served at the Last Supper . . . but I digress . . .

I really like this almond bread recipe.  The almond taste is mild, the texture is wonderful . . . my husband likes it . . . and the recipe yields two loaves, so I can keep one at home and take one to work . . . a complete win-win . . .


Here's the recipe:

1 cup grapenut cereal
3 cups milk
1 cup  (1 can) almond paste, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs, beaten
1½ cups sugar
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
  1. Combine cereal and mil and soak for one hour.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.  Grease two 8x4x2 loaf pans.
  3. Cream almond paste, butter, eggs and sugar.  Add the mil and cereal mixture.
  4. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to the creamed mixture.
  5. Pour into loaf pans and bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yields 2 loaves

The Christmas season continues . . .  As always, I pray for a year of epiphanies. May they teach me, and humble me, and guide me through the complicated labyrinth of life.

5 comments:

Nicki said...

Grapenut cereal - well there is a blast from my past. This sounds like an interesting bread - and I would venture a guess, tastier than almond milk in a chilly barn. I've always wanted to know more. Like what was Jesus like as a toddler, and I would find it interesting to ponder what really might have been served during the Last Supper.

May your wishes for a year of epiphanies give you the guidance you seek.

Reds said...

Mmm - love almond - so I am sure I would love this (these!)

Margaret said...

That's interesting that the recipe includes Grapenuts. I bet it is yummy.

stephanie said...

This looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Barb said...

I have never made almond bread but I like it.