Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tea Bread Tuesday: Spiced Peach-Carrot Bread

Just a moment please, I'm having an epiphany . . . This . . . . is . . . . amazing!


Imagine little bits of peaches bursting in your mouth, making every bite so incredibly juicy . . . and then the carrots and spices adding layers and layers of flavor . . . and then the pecans . . . ah, the pecans . . . a little crunch . . . a little more flavor . . . my taste buds are having a party!


From Southern Living Magazine (July 2011), here's the recipe:

¾ cup chopped pecan
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1½ cups peeled and chopped fresh, ripe peaches
¾ cup freshly grated carrots
2/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.  Cool 15 minutes.
  2. Stir together flour and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl; add peaches, next 4 ingredients, and toasted pecans, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Spoon batter into a lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
  3. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes.  Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).

“Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring and because it has fresh peaches in it”

—Alice Walker

8 comments:

Nicki said...

my mouth is watering. You asked how I managed to photograph peaches without eating the -- it was because the camera was in one hand, the knife in the other and they were not long for this world. I have to try this recipe. Yummy!

pat said...

Oh Maria, you are killing me! Have I mentioned that I had a serious carbohydrate addiction? After reading this post---I need a fix! This bread in particular; it sounds absolutely heavenly!

Carolyn said...

You had me salivating over those peach bits! I love your blog and will be back.

Reds said...

Gotta go get some peaches - your description and photos make me want to bake some NOW!! :)

Marlis said...

you had me at peaches and pecans.. I have to make this this weekend. Thanks for your visit and for your kind comments, many blessings, xo marlis

Barb said...

The combination of the peaches and the carrots sounds very good and interesting. It is something I would not think of together.

Jill said...

Oh that does look good! And I have almost everything to make it! Except, I'm not crazy about nutmeg. I wish I had some chocolate chips to substitute for the nutmeg & then I'd try it today. :-) Oh wait...my carrots are expired. Never mind.

The Tablescaper said...

This sounds sooo good. Peaches could use a bit of a kick.

Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper