Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tea Bread Tuesday: Honey Raisin Bread

This was very good; great texture and very moist. Would I make this one again? I'm not sure. There isn't a thing wrong with it, but nothing about it screamed "Make me again!" Although, come to think of it, I did make it again: I made a second loaf so I could use up some of the leftover ingredients. I'm sure my co-workers will have more to say about it tomorrow . . .

Here's the recipe:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup bran flakes cereal (I used Kellogg's All Bran)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ honey
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup raisins
1. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl combine the cereal, milk and vanilla extract. Let soak for about 5 minutes.
3. With an electric mixer, add egg, honey and butter to the milk and cereal mixture, mixing thoroughly.
4. Stir into dry ingredients just enough to moisten. Do not over mix.
5. Fold in raisins.
6. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350° F for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove from loaf pan and finish cooling on a wire rack. When completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap overnight.

6 comments:

pat said...

Ahhhhh, CarbTuesday! I love these posts!

Reds said...

Mmmmmm - your coworkers will be very happy this morning!! :)

Nicki said...

I love raisin bread now, but hated it as a child because the elementary school served it way too much and no one got to go out for recess until EVERYTHING (including raisin bread) was eaten (maybe the kids/adults from my elem. school can sue the BOE from back in the day for our current obesity status) - but I digress. We would ultimately shove the raisin bread into our empty milk boxes. Now, I love the stuff. Your recipe looks pretty simple and the sample looks tasty (by the way, love that plate).

Angela2932 said...

Looks good to me! It looks healthy! It also looks deceptively like chocolate, but it might possibly be forgiven for not being chocolate, I would think.

Suzy said...

2.99? What a great deal for that platter! Nice yummy looking shot here!

Barb said...

It looks and sounds really good.