Thursday, March 14, 2013

Just a pinch of Irish

That's how much Celtic blood runs in this family . . . on my husband's side . . . maybe . . .


When asked, he always says:  “I'm English, Irish, Dutch, Polish, Italian . . . ” 


And he never deviates from that, with the sentence trailing off at the end . . .


But just because our Irish ancestry is extremely diluted, or possibly, non-existent . . .


. . . it doesn't stop us from celebrating St. Patrick's Day . . .


. . . like good ol' Americans . . .


. . . with a corned beef and cabbage dinner . . .


. . . and a modest nod to the green . . .


. . . a pinch of Irish, if you will . . .  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Details:

Placemats:  Classic Linen, white, from Pottery Barn
Chargers:  Tava, Espresso, from Pottery Barn
Dinner plates:  Mikasa French Countryside
Cabbage Salad Bowls:  Cavolo bowls from Crate and Barrel
Napkins:  Hampton Gardens by Raymond Waites at HomeGoods
Napkin Rings:  Bed Bath and Beyond
Green water goblets:  The Dollar Tree
Wine glasses:  The Dollar Tree
Candle sticks:  The Dollar Tree
Candles:  The Dollar Tree
Flatware:  My everyday flatware from Costco
Shamrock Plant:  Dominick's (our local grocery store)

I'm joining Susan for Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch, and Kathleen at Cuisine Kathleen for her 5th Annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl.  If you have a chance, you should definitely stop by for some tablescaping fun!

15 comments:

Marlis said...

If you had said you found your pretty plant at DT, I was going to go right now! Love, that store.. Your table is sooo pretty. The pinch is just perfect. I love your combination.. It's a gorgeous, textural mix. Happy St. Pat's and may all blessings come your way.. xo marlis

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hi my friend!
St. Patrick's was such a fun and important celebration in NY when I was gowing up, that it's so familiar to me..and there's non Irish blood round hea! I love your cabagge bowls and your entire green table. Love your placemats and napkins, very pretty. Wishing you a lovely St. Patrick's Day weekend.
Big hugs,
FABBY

Denise Marie said...

Gorgeous table!! delamere is a great backdrop! U'll find some great deal & have accents.

Barb said...

Cute bowls and nice shot from directly above the table.

Diane said...

I have a lot of Irish blood, but I am afraid that it comes from the "wrong" part of the island for St. Patrick's Day. However, on March 17th, we all are from the correct part of Ireland for the day! Love your napkins and bowls and those candles are such a fabulous shade of green. Perfect for the big day on Sunday!

Alycia Nichols said...

Well, you now how they say EVERYONE is Irish on St. Patrick's Day!!!! I fall into step with any and every celebration! Any chance to have some fun, learn a few things about another culture, or wear a fun T-shirt or hat...I'm in! So if wearing green, eating corned beef & cabbage, and having just a "pinch" of Irish blood will save you from getting otherwise "pinched", GO FOR IT!!!!! :-) I really like the cabbage bowls you used. They remind me so much of the Bordallo Pinheiro plates. I haven't been in Crate & Barrel in probably a year, so I had no idea they even had those scrumptious bowls!!! I hope your weekend is a good one! Eat a bite of corned beef for me!!!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Maria, Your table is beautiful! Just enough green to remember the holiday. My kids have so many different nationalities mixed in their heritage that we like to say they are "American" when asked. Not a drop of Irish though! Linda

Lynn said...

I love the brown and green, very pretty! Happy St. Patty's Day Weekend:@)

Marigene said...

Beautiful table...your napkins match the tablecloth I used in last week's post!

Sue said...

Yup...you do have the same bowls as me....do you have the matching large salad bow..that's a real beauty....I laughed about your husband being a little bit of everything....I'm also Polish and Italian...I refer to my self as a "PoleWop"

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Very pretty pinch of Irish t'scape! I love that your hubby embraces so many nationalities - that way you get to celebrate ALL holidays! Happy St. Pat's Day to you!

DD

Nicki said...

This is the holiday to admit to ourselves that as Americans we are a mixed bag of tricks - Irish included. Lovely setting - loving the green.

Have a blessed St. Patrick's Day!

lllayda said...

Always beautiful tables, Maria! Happy St. Patrick's day!

lllayda said...

Your tables are always beautiful! I love that you will use things from all sources, from Pottery Barn to Dollar General! :). Happy st. Pat's!

Kathleen said...

It is always good to celebrate, a good dinner, a pretty table and a toast to all our ancestors!
Thanks so much for crawling along with us and celebrating St. Patrick!