Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Romantic Christmas Eve

I was going to call this "A Very Paisley Christmas" in honor of the Red Caroline Paisley from Pottery Barn that captured my heart a while back.  You can see a little bit of the napkin here in this Valentine's tea post from last February.


But then, I decided to fold the napkins à la fleur-de-lis to show off its gorgeous pattern . . .


The centerpiece from Teleflora.com had pretty red roses in a mercury glass container . . .


 I love the look of mercury glass . . .


But the arrangement seemed a bit too dark to me, so I added some Baby's Breath . . .

 

Suddenly, the romance of it all struck me . . .


It reminds me of a Victorian-era table . . .  Hmm . . . would Mr. Dickens approve . . . ?


Each little box contained Godiva truffles.  Everyone should wake up to truffles on Christmas morning, don't you think . . . ?  The little packages were tied with red ribbon and I added a Christmas ornament, to be hung on the tree later on . . .


We had a toddler in our midst this year, so we dug up the table and chair set that my boys used when they were little, and set up a proper table for this young man . . .


Oliver, my brother's first grandson, and my great-nephew, stole the show, in the same way that he's stolen our hearts.  What a cutie!


Here's the family, as we sat down to say grace.  The menu:  Waldorf Salad on Baby Romaine, Filet of Beef Au Jus, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli . . .


And for dessert a Cookie Tower.  I became a baking fool this Christmas with the help of my son, John, enabler and invaluable assistant.  The phrase "visions of sugar-plums danced in her head" could have been applied to me!

The tower included Cranberry Pistachio cookies, Magic Bars (Chocolate Chips, Butterscotch Chips and Coconut with a gooey center), Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies, Pecan Butter Balls, Almond Cream Cheese Cookies, Chocolate Espresso Snowcaps, Chocolate Chip Cookies, with semi-sweet chocolate drizzles, Almond Raspberry Thumbprints, Potato Chip Cookies, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Blossoms . . .


A closeup of the Almond Raspberry Thumbprints, Potato Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter Chocolate Blossoms . . .


The chocolate chip cookies are on the right, because it isn't Christmas around here without your basic CCC, and to the left . . . Pecan Butterballs, recipe from the Silver Palate Cookbook.  Let me tell you, those Butterballs are the essence of winter, they are kissed with HONEY and seem to melt in your mouth . . . fabulous . . .


Here you can see the Chocolate Espresso Snow caps and the Almond Cookies a little better.  These are not the best pictures but I was snapping away as fast as I could before the cookies were devoured . . .


The Chocolate Espresso Snowcaps were a new addition to our cookie repertoire, I found them in Pinterest but they are Martha Stewart's.  The were delicious and so pretty, too!  Here is the link for the recipe. 

My sister-in-law, Kathy, also brought a gorgeous, delicious flan to share!  I wish I had taken a picture of it.  It was a beautiful thing.  It can be tricky to bake a flan to a proper consistency, but hers was perfect!  Oh, if only we could slow events down a little bit so we could capture everything on camera!


And here is the photo that still makes me smile:  My son, John, trying to hold on to a slippery Oliver, and my other son, David, in the background with a half-smile on his face.  He seems to be thinking:  “Better you than me, bro!”  Oh, what a wonderful Christmas Eve!  I hope yours was, too!

I'm joining Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch and Let's Dish! at Cuisine Kathleens!  Please stop by for inspiration!

13 comments:

Deborah Montgomery said...

your table is beautiful and I'm so impressed with all your baking -- the cookies look delicious!

Rettabug said...

How wonderful your celebration looks! The wee one just added to the happy smiles...he's a cutie!
Your table is gorgeous!!! We both did little boxes with chocolates. HaHaHa! I should have thought to add an ornament to mine. next time!

I just visited your Valentine's Day post & LOVED those chocolate hearts. That is our wedding anniversary day so I'll be on the look out for some for us. Thanks for telling us about them.

Kathleen said...

It is a beautiful table, Maria! The cloth and napkins have such rich colors! Your centerpiece is beautiful! The cookies look wonderful! Your little guest is so cute!
All the best in 2014!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your Tablescape for Christmas was beautiful. I can tell you had a great time with your lovely family. I wish you and your family a Happy New Year and God Bless you all, from my home to yours.
xxoo
Diane

Jacqueline said...

Oliver is a doll at his adorable table! Your table is lovely and all of the goodies make my mouth water. We didn't get around to cookies this year, just chocolates (but who is complaining!) and they are about gone now.
I especially love your floral. It is so pretty with the everygreens and pinecones and the red roses. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Alycia Nichols said...

Hmmmm....weird. My box of cookies must still be caught up in that UPS delivery fiasco. I guess if I'm just patient that they will arrive soon! :-)

BEAUTIFUL table! You really pulled out all the stop, starting with that great napkin fold! That really adds a lot to each place setting.

There is a lot of romance in that table!!!!!!! Just so pretty!

Oliver is a little doll! He'll be sitting at a romantic table with a pretty girl in about 18 years! :-)

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Maria! Felicidades! Your table is lovely, lovely, lovely, but I agree with you, Oliver is darling, and my favorite picture is the one of him and your sons. I noticed the young man in the background smiling and loved that an "on-looker" was enjoying him too before reading your explanation that it's your other son. These are the good times, aren't they?

Here visiting to check in on you and your holidays. I wish all of you the best in 2014. ~Zuni

Anonymous said...

Beautiful table; love the table runner and napkins. Great cookie tower!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh dear Maria, I would love to sit at your table with such handsome company and all that yummy food and baking, you are so talented to do! Your table is stunning and the centerpiece is gorgeous! I'm so glad you had a wonderful C'mas, mi amiguita querida y cariñosa. Gracias por TUS lindas palabras mas bien. I am blessed to know you!
FABBY

xinex said...

The menu sounds delicious, the table is gorgeous and the company is perfect. What else could one ask for? Happy New Year!...Christine

Rosie M. said...

Love, love, love your paisley cloth and tablescape! I can't believe how many different kinds of cookies you made! I'm not a baker, so it further increases my awe at your efforts! What a great idea to drizzle chocolate on your CCC!! Your family must have had a wonderful celebration. Have a great 2014!!
Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Maria, Your table is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! And nothing says romance like red roses. They are wonderful mixed with the greens. And all those cookies!! We had only peanut butter kisses and if my daughter didn't make them we wouldn't have had any! Your ccc look so good with the drizzled chocolate. And the little cutie pie at his own table must have made your Christmas all the more magical. Every home needs a little one at Christmastime. Linda

Entertaining Women said...

Your family looks so delighted to sit at your beautiful table. And the cookie tower is spectacular! Oliver is sheer perfection. Thanks for inviting us for a peek. Cherry Kay