Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tea Bread Tuesday: David's Cake

There's nothing my son, David, likes better than a rich, moist chocolate cake.  This recipe is simplicity itself, and chocolate seemed appropriate given that a)  Valentine's Day is coming up and that puts me in the mood for chocolate, b) my husband is traveling this week, so I needed to make something that I knew David would eat, and c)  . . . well, the powdered sugar covering the cake reminded me of snow, something that's been very much on our minds lately . . .


Here's the recipe:

1 box chocolate or Devil's Food cake mix
1 cup sour cream
5 eggs, slightly beaten
1 3.4-oz. package of instant chocolate pudding
¾ water

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease and flour a bundt pan, or use PAM spray for baking.  Mix all ingredients with a mixer until combined and no lumps remain.  Pour into bundt pan.  Bake for one hour, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from oven.  Let cool in bundt pan for at least 10 minutes, invert on serving plate and let cool completely.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.


I love this bundt pan, the arches in the mold make pretty impressions on the cake.  It reminds me a little of this other white stuff and the impressions it created last week against our garage door . . .

9 comments:

Barb said...

That looks so delicious! Could you please next day air a piece for me?

pat said...

I really look forward to your Tuesday posts. Between you and Celine I have enough recipes to keep me busy for quite a while (and my fat cells in full celebration!) This cake sounds wonderfully moist and decadent. Must try!!!

Reds said...

Mmmm chocolate!!! My fave!! Gotta try it - sounds so easy - though I don't have a cute pan like yours!! And that's a lot of snow!

Yolanda said...

Yummm! That looks amazing!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Maria, now, do we really need an excuse to make a CHOCOLATE cake? I have a very similar recipe that also uses a little bit of kahlua (naughty but yummy) and it is delicious! I think the sour cream really makes a difference in the moistness. Happy Birthday to your son! And, as for the groundhog, he is predicting an early spring so I say let's take him seriously! Linda

Leilani said...

That looks so so delicious! I am so hungry!!
I can't believe that snow! We have never had anything like that over here...

Suzy said...

Oh yummy - the cake and not the snow lol! That is a lot of snow. I think it's a good idea to snuggle up warm inside with that cake!

Nicki said...

I love the design in your bundtcake pan - it does give an architectural look to the cake, especially when sprinkled with the powdered sugar. And that snow - oh my!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your cake looks so delicious.. the design is incredible... the snow looks like what we've had, looking forward to the warm up... Thank you for swinging by to say hello. I love company. hugs ~lynne~