Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tea Bread Tuesday: Orange Pecan Bread

This recipe came from “The Silver Palate Cookbook.” It wasn't bad, but I don't think I'll be making this one again. The bread was crumbly and too sweet, and, worst of all, my husband, the ultimate judge, just shrugged his shoulders when I asked him how he liked it - it didn't even rate a “Not bad, but it could have used a little more . . . ” I wonder if we are suffering from tea bread fatigue . . . I may need to reassess whether to continue this series on a weekly basis or do it less frequently . . .

And, by the way, thank you to all my wonderful blogging friends who rack your brain every week to comment on essentially the same thing - another tea bread . . . It's nice of you to humor me while I work this project out of my system . . . I so appreciate you!

Here's the recipe - for the terminally curious:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) sweet butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
grated rind of 1 large or 2 small oranges
1½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
½ cup fresh orange juice
1 cup shelled pecans, chopped

Orange Glaze

¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup granulated sugar

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8½ x 4½ inch loaf pan.
  2. Cream the butter. Add ¾ cup sugar gradually, beating with an electric mixer until light. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, and the grated orange rind.
  3. Sift the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt, and add dry mixture to the batter alternately with ½ orange juice, beginning and ending with flour. Gently mix in the pecans.
  4. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them carefully into the batter.
  5. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, set on the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, make the glaze. Spoon the hot syrup over the bread as soon as the bread is removed from the oven. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
1 loaf

9 comments:

Esther said...

Mmm! Someones got to be the tester of recipes. I'm such a recipe snob. I only make the ones with all the positive ratings. So I credit you for trying things out on a whim! :) Even if it didn't taste quite as you might have wanted, it sure looks delish!

Margaret said...

I love seeing your breads! Such interesting kinds and I love that you include the recipes! Love the way you photographed it. Sorry it didn't taste quite as you had hoped, but shot is lovely! Oh, and in answer to your question about the candy buffet, yes, the bride and groom I photographed had one at their reception, along with another table of crepes and other yummy stuff. It was amazing! I loved the candy jars especially!

Suzy said...

Thanks for posting recipes! If I'm ever in a baking mood, I am coming to your bloggy for some bread! Yummy!

Yolanda said...

That's too bad that it was crumbly. You would think that the orange would give it some moisture. The oranges look good ;)

Reds said...

Love all your baking posts so please don't stop!! :) - Too bad this bread wasn't to your liking.

pat said...

I enjoy your recipes and ratings! I am so glad that you are willing to post them, and your opinions about them. I've copied off several recipes to use, since you've given them such good reviews. Nice photo; it makes that bread look moist and delicious. Sorry it was crumbly!

Angela2932 said...

Humor you, nothing! We're literally feasting our eyes, and drooling! And I say, no more tea bread for Lee! Tell him to hop in his car and drive it to my house (bringing you, too, of course!)

Nicki said...

Are * you * kidding ! ! ! I love the variety of breads you try - I'm down right tea-bread jealous because we are trying to limit ourselves to whole-wheat blah bread, so I am living vicariously through your posts. Does your DH drink coffee - maybe switch it up there, because those of us in blogville aint giving up tea bread Tuesday because he is in a slump (no offense ...but we just aint!) :)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Looks so good. You can never have to much baking done.