Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two steps forward . . . One step back . . .

So there we were, moving along at a nice clip, my husband Lee was getting ready to put mortar to the tiles around the perimeter of the bathroom floor, when he noticed a crack on the flange that holds down the toilet, a fairly big crack that would likely cause us trouble down the line. It had to be replaced (sigh!).

In the "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" remodeling tradition at our house, to replace the flange, he had to cut several of the PVC pipes that were glued to it, . . . and in order to do that, he had to open another hole in the kitchen ceiling!!!!!

Remember the hole he had to cut open in order to install the whirlpool tub?

Well, look how nicely it accessorizes with this new, BIGGER hole!


And here is where the story gets ever so much better: Tip to future bathroom remodelers . . . HIRE A PLUMBER!

Hah! So you think you can do this, eh? So you are going to ignore my sage advice, eh? All right, here's the next best piece of advice you will ever get . . . mind you, these are pearls I'm giving you: If you are so determined to do this yourself, be absolutely, positively certain, that before you open up any bathroom pipes you flush your toilet a minimum of 10,000 times, no, make that, 20,000 times!

I will let you use your imagination to figure out what happened when Lee cut into the pipes. I would just like to say two things: First, I love my husband with all my heart! Another man would have turned tail and run, but not Lee. He finished the gruesome job - and he cleaned my kitchen afterwards. If you asked him about it today, he'd say, with that calm demeanor of his, that it wasn't all that bad. Secondly, I can say, without hesitation, that I now have the cleanest kitchen in North America. You could perform open heart surgery on my kitchen table right now, it's that clean.

So we're back on track now. Of course, we have to wait until next weekend to continue the work, but that's O.K. We need a few days break from all the mayhem. It's nice to go to work and relax.

10 comments:

pat said...

Oh my--I am cursed with a vivid imagination. Your post has opened the windows. Oh dear. I would've taken a flame thrower to the kitchen, I think!

April said...

Oh man..I'm sorry, unfortunately I know exactly how that goes.

Lauren Hartman said...

Oh my gosh. Next time my husband complains about the minimum of three trips to Lowes that it takes to fix any minor home issue, I'm going to tell him your story. Your husband sounds like a terrific guy!

Suzy said...

wow sounds like a lot of action going on. I don't even want to think about what your poor hubby had to clean up! I'm glad your kitchen is clean again!

Yolanda said...

It will all be worth it in the end! Poor guy.

Reds said...

Your husband is a very patient man!! And congrats on your clean kitchen!! ;)

Julie said...

Oh no! What a good sport, I'm not sure my husband would have handled that very well!

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Barb said...

Interesting to see all of the steps. I will be glad for you all when it is finished.

Angela2932 said...

Again, I have to say, I wish some of Lee would rub off on Doug! I can so see Lee reacting this way. I remember when he came to visit me in the LA area, and me, being the traffic phobic that I am, had Lee drive to see the sights. He was driving in bumper to bumper traffic, for hours during an LA heat wave, no ac (air conditioning; I was in the car.) He was like a total Zen monk, practically meditating, completely unruffled, with other drivers losing it all around us! Were there a lot of swear words flying around your kitchen when the --errrr--contents--let loose? I was present when Lee was heard to swear once, although I didn't hear it myself. He was cooking in the kitchen at KFC and swore; all the other cooks and workers came running out from the back, shouting, "Gino swore! Gino said "****"!" They, who were quite potty-mouthed themselves, were wide-eyed and wild with shock and it took awhile for them to all settled down again and for anyone to get back to work.