Sunday, December 6, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

This was a quiet Thanksgiving dinner, thinking of our loved ones, and grateful for our family, our friends, our health, and so many other things.


I went out looking for something a bit more unusual in the way of flowers.  They had me at the pink.  So I brought out a few copper accessories to bring out the color a bit more.


Placemats from Pottery Barn.  Napkins from Crate and Barrel.  Napkin Rings from Williams-Sonoma.  Copper tray from Target.


French Countryside, by Mikasa dishes.


Woodland, by Spode flatware.  I love bringing it out in the Fall!



No traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year.  By special request from favorite husband, Baked Ham, Roman, Potatoes and a Vegetable Medley.


For myself, I experimented with a new recipe:  Ina Garten's Maple Pumpkin Flan.  It was delicious but it seemed a bit more work than my basic flan recipe, and I think my taste buds were confused:  Is it a flan?  Is it a pumpkin pie?  The jury is still out on this one.


Most of the mishaps were my fault.  The recipe called for an 8-inch cake pan, but I only had a 7-inch mold (shown above), and a 9-inch cake pan.  I decided to use the 7-inch mold, which is actually designed for the Instant Pot.  I baked it in a Bain Marie, in the oven.  Unfortunately, I had to adjust the baking times.  It took considerably longer to bake this way.


The caramel called for maple syrup, sugar and water.  It took forever to caramelize, and in the end, I wasn't even sure how it would turn out because the color looked wrong, and the sugar never completely dissolved.  I think those valleys in the top of the flan may have been caused by the caramel.


For some inconceivable reason, I decided to mix all the ingredients with my hand mixer, instead of dropping everything in the blender.  With the added mascarpone, I could not get a smooth consistency, and ended up having to strain the whole thing before putting it into the mold.

Who would have imagined that pink would look so lovely when added to Fall colors?  It provided the perfect touch to our quiet day of Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Lyrique said...

Without fail, I am always cheered by your beautiful table settings and the foods you so carefully prepare. The table always says, "I love you, and I have prepared my table to welcome you to beauty." It is a joy to see your blog and read your thoughts. Thank you for sharing your heart.