Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Tea with the Prince

I'm about to sit down for a quiet tea in the library.  There's magic in this room.  All my books are kept here, and little creatures come to life in the afternoons.  However, I'm not completely alone because His Highness is here with me.


The Prince follows me all over the house.  There's a perfectly wonderful rock set for him outside, at the base of the clematis vine, but the opossum that lives under our deck keeps knocking him off his throne, so I've brought him inside to give him a break from the bully.


Once he realized he was safe, he immediately made himself at home, and invited some of his courtiers to tea.  Imagine that!  Without a by-your-leave, I had a house full of guests!  The Lord Chamberlain felt they should have checked with me, but the Prince brushed aside all his concerns.


Madame Pompadour came, too, hoping for a tryst.  Unfortunately, her plans were doomed to failure . . .


She brought Miss Bee along, her lady-in-waiting and chaperone, and that prickly creature was not about to let any shenanigans take place on her watch!


Besides, the Court Gossip was flitting about.  Mr. Gossip is a useful person, when one likes to know the latest “on-dits,” as long one is not the object of the gossip.  Therefore, all in all, it's best to stay clear of him.


Shall I ask Miss Bee to bring in an extra cup for you?  Oh, dear!  I'm so terribly sorry, but I've been told that it won't be possible.  Miss Bee says she needs more advance notice, and the Lord Chamberlain says you are not wearing a hat.  No hat, no tea!  He's very strict.


I guess I'll be eating the cookies all by myself.  But don't worry, I will invite you back very soon, once I clear it with the staff.

No comments: