Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thyme

“I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite overcanopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses, and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lulled in these flowers with dances and delight.”
—William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream


I particularly like this variegated lemon thyme, and keep it it on the kitchen window throughout the summer.  It's fabulous on an herbed vinaigrette, or simply scattered on a fresh tomato salad, or on fish or chicken . . .



Legend has it that thyme was an essential ingredient in a magic potion that allowed the drinker to see the fairies.  Simply touching the leaves infuses the kitchen with a delightful lemony scent, and it's so delicate-looking, one might easily imagine fairies fluttering amongst its leaves . . .  Another of the pleasures of summer . . . there’s never enough thyme . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I might just have to get me one of these :). I have never been able to grow herbs, my last try was to just keep the leftover oregano and basil in a glass of water by the kitchen window and ... they have been thriving :). I love your post. Thank you also for visiting us at pret-a-vivre.com. What a coincidence, we are going to have a post on the Vatican by day and evening tomorrow :).