Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mediterranean Rice Salad

Have I got a recipe for you!!!  From the "Fit for Life" cookbook - tweaked a little here and there.  This is truly a winner, especially for busy people who work too many hours and have perhaps a long commute . . . and have a hard time getting in all the veggies that Dr. Oz says we should be eating on a daily basis . . . or for those that want to cut back on meat a little . . . but enough about me . . .   No really, this is sooo easy!  And sooo delicious!  Have I ever steered you wrong???  This is what you do:

Take out your salad bowl and add some romaine lettuce . . .  No measuring required!  Isn't it great?  Just add or subtract quantities according to your whim, or the contents of your refrigerator . . .


Add some baby spinach . . .


Add some julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained . . .


Add some pimiento-stuffed green olives . . . Or experiment with black olives, if you like . . . I won't tell . . .


Add some cooked brown rice.  I use Trader Joe's Jasmine Brown Rice - love it, love it, love it!


Add some zucchini that has been lightly sautéed in olive oil and fresh garlic . . .


Shake your favorite vinaigrette, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste over the whole thing and toss to combine . . .  Go easy on the dressing, you'll find you don't need a whole lot!


Voilà!  Or more appropriately . . . Presto!  My husband loved it, and he didn't even miss the meat!  I'll be making this one again.  Buon Appetito!

4 comments:

Michelle Renee said...

It looks delicious!

Nicki said...

my mouth is watering - but I could skip the rice. I like rice - just not mixed with my salad greens (weird, cause I will pretty much eat anything). This does sound very good.

Oh, you should jump in on the scavenger hunt challenge - it has pushed me to think outside the box of obvious photos and get my camera out.

Reds said...

Love salads and this one looks wonderful!

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your salad looks so Yummy and the flavor must be delicious.. I would like to thank you so much for your comments on my Tablescaps. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family. XXOO Diane