Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

This photo of my mother and me was taken on my first birthday.  It's such a sweet picture, symbolic of a time when love was simple for the two of us.


My mother was a beautiful woman, and a strong one.  She suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for the last thirteen years of her life, eventually succumbing to the disease at the age of 58. We butted heads a lot in my teens and twenties, and I regret that we didn't have the opportunity to develop a more tempered relationship as adults.   I can now look back and see how courageous her daily battles with her illness were, and how much effort it took to just get through her day. 

Today, a memory came to mind of my mom, with her gnarled, swollen fingers, struggling to put my hair up in curlers so I would look nice for my first orchestra concert in high school, and of me, a bratty teenager, asking her to do one over because it wasn't laying just right . . . definitely not one of my finer moments.

If she were here today, I'd say to her:  “Mom, I have kids now.”  “I understand so much!”

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  Thank you for all the sacrifices you made for me.  I love you!

7 comments:

Nicki said...

Lovely, adorable picture. I have a feeling that your mother's spirit has smiled down on you as a mother - and even grinned on those occasions when your boys pushed you to the limits of patience. I had the good fortune to take care of my mom during her last year and even though I still had less than stellar moments, I did get the opportunity to apologize for at least some of my bratty antics, as well as thank her for being a great mom.

I hope you are having a beautiful Mother's Day and the boys have dressed the table to the max and filled it with wonderful food.

Reds said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother! Love the photo!

Barb said...

That is such a sweet picture. Your Mom was very beautiful and you seem to resemble her.

Margaret said...

What a sweet post! I, too, have lost my mom and appreciate her now more than ever. She suffered through lots of health problems and died too young (at age 61) seven years ago. The picture of you and your mom is priceless!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

yes, I feel the same way, I was such a bad girl, but luckily, I have been able to make peace with my mother. I'm sure she hears you from heaven, everything you want her to know, she knows....so sorry for your loss. She sure was a beautiful lady.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love this, your both so pretty in this treasured photo! I'm so glad I just ran into your beautiful post. Yeah, mother's are special and ours are no different! Sometimes I feel bad about my, once in a rear times I was a nasty teenager myself, even with dad, whom I was so close, now that he's done, I feel I shoul've been closer when I was an adult. Now, I take good care of my 81 yr. old mom, I'm a mom, so I know too! Thanks for reminding me about mothers.
Hugs
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hola Maria! I'm originally from Astoria-Queens, of Spanish father and Ecuadorian mother. I married in Las Vegas Nevada some 36 yrs. ago to my darling, wonderful and handsome hubby! My mom lives here now too. You can see her in my post before the one with the urn...it's called: My Dear Mama. Thank you for coming by and becoming my friend. Yeah, Cayetana is named like Cayetana, Duquesa de Alba, LOL...just kidding, we liked it, that's it, or I should say my daughter, Sofia did, her mother. Now, I have a post with them where it says: My Granddaughter's Disney Cruise. Go look if you have time.
Chao, con cariño!
Fabiola