Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lime Mousse

This recipe came from The Silver Palate Cookbook. I'm on the second copy of this wonderful cookbook and it's covered with food splatters and comments written on the margins. Next to this one I wrote: “Oh, my God! This is too wonderful!”

This recipe is a tried and true masterpiece and I've made it many times. It's one of my husband's favorites. It's silky smooth and refreshingly tart, making it a great finish to just about any meal. Impress your friends . . . or butter up your husband, next time you need the kitchen ceiling painted . . .

Here's the recipe:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) sweet butter
5 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup fresh lime juice (7 or 7 limes)
grated zest of 5 limes
2 cups heavy (whipping) cream, chilled
  1. Melt butter in the top part of a double boiler over simmering water.
  2. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until light and foamy. Add mixture to melted butter. Cook gently, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes a custard, about 8 minutes. Do not overcook or eggs will scramble.
  3. Remove custard from heat and stir in lime juice and grated zest. Cool to room temperature.
  4. This step is unorthodox but crucial. Using an electric mixer, whip chilled cream until very stiff—almost, but not quite, to the point where it would become butter.
  5. Stir lime custard into whipped cream until just incorporated. Pour into 8 individual glasses or a serving bowl. Chill for at least 4 hours.
8 portions (or 6 large ones if you can't seem to find your other two glasses . . . )


And, yes, I still have more limes . . .

3 comments:

Barb said...

That looks very refreshing! I think I will try that this week. My obstacale is being so far from a grocery store and I will need some cream. I have the limes.

Nessa said...

I love lime but am not a mousse fan, but this looks delicious!

Reds said...

Mmmmmm - that looks so yummy right now!!