Saturday, July 10, 2010

Roasted Beet Salad

You will become a beet lover, just as I did, when you try this salad! This is Fran's recipe, an old friend who has contributed to my cooking repertoire . . .

Cut the tops and bottoms off the beets . . .

Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for an hour at 350°F . . .


Remove from the oven and let them sit for a bit until they have cooled enough to handle. Unwrap under running water and rub them to peel the skin off; it'll fall off without effort . . .
Slice them in thin rounds. Slice an onion into rings and alternate stacking slices of beets and onions into your serving bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil, vinegar (lately I've been using white balsamic vinegar), salt and pepper.

Optional: Add some crumbled blue cheese and some walnuts . . . Magnifique!

Or . . . make yourself a beet sandwich! I know, it sounds weird, but you've got to try it . . .

3 comments:

Suzy said...

Ok I "will" try this. I love beets regardless so I can't wait!

Reds said...

Love roasted beets - can't wait to try your salad!

Barb said...

The photos of your beets look nice. I like them but I did't think there would be a way that Bob would even think about eating them until while in Australia he ate and liked a hamburger called "the works". This consisted of the hamburger,bun,onions,lettuce,tomatoe,a slice of beet and a fried egg. He really liked it. It is also a heart attack ready to happen. :)