Fran's Irish Soda Bread
5 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 C. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1½ tsp. salt
½ C. unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, slightly beaten
2½ C. buttermilk
2 C. currants
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine dry ingredients set aside
3. With electric mixer, mix wet ingredients one at a time
4. Add dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined
5. Add currants
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
7. When cool wrap in plastic wrap overnight so it remains moist. Yields 2 loaves.
This isn't your typical Irish Soda Bread, it's more like a tea cake, and those currants will explode in your mouth with little bursts of sweetness. By all means, make yourself a cup of green tea to go with it! (Get it? Green tea?)
Erin Go Bragh!