Saturday, December 21, 2019

The Art Institute Crèche

The Art Institute of Chicago this rare Neapolitan Crèche in 2013, but I only found out about it this year.  This is what happens when you let your membership lapse.  Shame on me!

In a bit of serendipity, my son, John, happens to have arrived early for the Christmas holiday, so he tagged along with us.  It was so much fun having him with us!


It was absolutely worth the visit!  So beautiful!  


The figures in the Crèche date from the 18th Century, and all the garments are made of silk, so in order to preserve them, the Crèche is only shown for a few weeks a year around the Christmas holiday.


It includes 50 animals and 41 items of food or drink.  


The details are simply amazing!


This is definitely not a pastoral tableau.


  It is modeled after a busy Neapolitan village.


I could not get a clear shot of the gorgeous baroque cabinet in which it is displayed.  Next year, I'm coming in the middle of the week, and earlier in the day!


I am told that there's another crèche displayed at the Met in New York around the holidays, so now I'm thinking I need to add a trip to the Big Apple at Christmas so I can see it!


Afterwards, we wondered around to see the permanent displays.  It's always a thrill to see my favorites.  Here's the stunning La Grande Jatte (1889) by Seurat.  Being at this wonderful museum, with my son, is the best gift I could have asked for this Christmas.

No comments: