Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Mums Are Here!

What an incongruous image, in the hottest day of summer, when my mind is full of the bi-color corn I'm about to pick up at the Farmer's Market, to find that stores are stocked and already selling pots of mums, a wayyyy too early reminder of the coming fall! But how could anyone resist this bounty?

I couldn't make up my mind, so Lee picked the color, this brilliant yellow, and quickly moved me along so I wouldn't be tempted to buy every other color they had. It was a good choice, still summery and cheerful enough to remind me more of corn than of gourds.


I have a love-hate relationship with mums. I love them like this, planted alone, their color and profusion making a grand statement. I don't care for them interspersed in floral arrangements, where they are frequently used as a cheap and unimaginative filler.
But today, it's all about love. The pot is sitting by the front door where I get to see it when I leave in the morning and come home at night. I'm smiling just thinking about it.