Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Another hankie tale

This old friend has been through a lot with me. It mopped up a bloody nose once. It was soaked in alcohol another time to disinfect a cut. It was also the handkerchief that dried my tears when we said our farewells as we left Cuba.

As a young girl, this was my favorite handkerchief. I remember reaching into my drawer and pulling it out, over and over again. My mother would always put it at the bottom of the stack so I would use some of the others, but I would look for this one, and, if it was clean, that's the one that would go in my school bag, pocket or purse.


The hankie has been retired for quite a while. The embroidery on the scalloped edge is unraveling in some spots, so now it's my turn to take care of this old retainer who served me well and deserves respect and a safe place to live out its old age.

No comments: