Thursday, October 1, 2020

Practicing Hospitality

Welcome to the Bee Room!  Won't you come and stay with us for a while?  The room has been ready for a couple of years now, and it's already received guests, but just recently, it's been very empty, what with this awful Covid-19 that is still causing havoc in the world.


This used to be my son, John's, bedroom before he had the audacity to grow up and move away.  Alas!  I haven't seen him since last Christmas season, and I miss him terribly.  Here he is showing me the flan he made using my recipe.  The baton has been passed!


I miss his brother, too.  David, is currently in Abu Dhabi, UAE, serving with his Army unit.  He was pretty bold, too, growing up, and learning how to drive and everything.  I won't see him this year at all.  Maybe next year (Covid and Army permitting).


But I've digressed.  It happens to me every time I think of the boys.  I did not want to buy new furniture, as my husband and I are just a few short years away from retirement, and we will not be staying in the Midwest.  So we polished the old IKEA furniture in the room, added a comfortable mattress, and I indulged in my own touches, which we can pack and take with us, and make the room a cozy guest retreat.  Our guests now stay in a room full of bees — friendly bees, that is, not the annoying ones that hover over our picnics.  Won't you come in and stay a while?


But first thing's first.  Function over form.  Gone are the board games, the Pokémon card collection, the art supplies, the grade school and high school memorabilia.  Instead, you will find extra pillows (encased in dry cleaner bags to keep the dust off), and a big, cozy comforter.


On the other side you will find a luggage rack to hold your suitcase.  I put a lot of thought into this rack, believe it or not.  It is not the prettiest rack I saw, but it was the only one that didn't have protruding ends that could dig into luggage.  Can you tell that this has happened to me?


You will also find towels, a basket full of travel-size goodies, like shampoo, hand lotion, etc., and several empty shelves to store your shoes, or anything else you'd like.  There are also two bars to hang up clothes, and cedar hangers that make the closet smell wonderful.


Next, I tackled the most difficult, and not fun, part of the project — selecting paint color.  My name is Maria, and I am a color-commitment-phobe.  Is there a 12-step program out there for this?  It took me months to decide.  And this was the final choice:


I selected the middle shade, called Risotto; nothing bad has ever happened to me while eating risotto, so I figured I'd be safe.


The windows were next, and I fell in love with the embroidered bees in these sheer panels from Country Curtains — which, unfortunately has gone out of business.  That was what set the theme for the room.  


The check outer panels also came from Country Curtains.  


So, you may ask, how else do you add bees to a bedroom to stay on theme, but don't have the guests feeling like they are being attacked by a swarm?  Well, to that I say . . . hold my honey . . .


I first saw these linens with embroidered bees on my first trip to Venice.  I didn't buy them there because my husband was already looking harassed, wondering how we were going to get home with all the stuff I had already bought.  However, they were meant to be mine because I found them again on eBay while casually looking for something else.  The sheets are so soft!  And I like that the bees are embroidered very subtly tone-on-tone.


The "Sweet Dreams" pillow also has some bees embroidered.  


I thought that was enough for the bed, but a dear friend had different ideas, and sent me this as a hostess gift, after she stayed in the room.


The beading is exquisite.


It didn't take very long to scatter the room with honey bees.


The old IKEA desk stayed in the room and is great to place a laptop, and it can double as a vanity in a pinch.


All the outlets in the room were updated with USB ports to charge the many electronic devices that everyone seems to travel with nowadays.


And a few more bees can be seen buzzing about . . .


The bee pens seem to be a popular item, and we love when our guests take them as a parting souvenir.


And there's a guestbook with the sweetest notes from our visitors!


Some of our visitors have gotten in on the action and have sent us bee additions to the room.


The room is ready for our guests.  I'll have a cozy lavender candle waiting for them . . .


And, if they like, I'll fix them a nice breakfast in bed . . .


With Egg Bites (recipe coming soon!), a croissant, tea, and honey sticks to sweeten their tea.


And I'll be as happy as a bee that I have blooms fluttering about bringing joy and life into our home.

1 comment:

Alycia Nichols said...

Well...it’s a good thing that nothing bad has ever happened to you involving risotto! It’s too delicious to have to never eat again due to PTSD! I think it’s very wise if you to not invest in costly furniture when you know with some reasonable degree of certainty that you will be moving within a relatively short time. Rooms can come alive with less expensive, more portable items to freshen them as you have here. Hooray for you for finding the sheets you lived on eBay!!! It just all worked out in your favor, and it looks terrific! I’d feel super welcome as a guest! As for the sons...we want to begrudge them, but we can’t in good conscience.😏 So we just love them from afar. Even as far away as Abu Dhabi!!! My Mom traveled there as a part of her bucket list the year she died. I have a few treasures she brought home that will always ne special to me because of how much she wanted to make that long awaited trip.