Sunday, June 19, 2016

Of Frogs, Princes and Fathers

One upon a time, in a land far away (well, 90 miles south of Key West, actually), 

Image result for map of cuba

there lived a little girl who loved to read – a habit nurtured by her father, a serious book lover and avid reader. 

While she was growing up in the sixties, the Evil Communist Regime was strengthening its yoke on her beautiful country.  Books were becoming scarce, but her father was part of an informal network of neighbors and friends that would lend out books, just like a library.  While the little girl continued to read, there was no opportunity to re-read, one of the true pleasures of reading aficionados, because the books had to be returned right away.

One summer afternoon, however, the father was actually able to buy and present his daughter with a brand new book for her very own collection: “El príncipe rana” – The Frog Prince - which she promptly devoured and reread many times over the coming months until it was in tatters.  


The little girl fell in love with the story, in part because she could relate so much to the princess in the book:  She was a bit lonely, a bit spoiled, definitely daddy’s girl, and had a powerful aversion to frogs.


Then, that very summer, on another sunny afternoon, a frog happened to jump through an open window and got inside the house.  The little girl began screaming, while her mischievous brother tried to catch the frog.


Finally, the father came running, rescued the poor frog, and set it free in the garden.  The little girl never forgot that summer, and her love for her father-champion and for books continued to deepen as the years went by.

That lucky little girl learned more than a few important life lessons that summer.  Among them, the sanctity of all life, including that of an ugly frog, and, because in her young mind, the king in the book got mixed up with her father, both honorable men, she also learned the importance of keeping her word.  Lastly, she learned that under no circumstances whatsoever would she ever eat frog legs.

It was not until much later in life that she finally understood one more lesson from the events of that summer:  Handsome princes come in all shapes and sizes.


In honor of all the wonderful lessons that little girl learned from her father, I’ve prepared a breakfast tray fit for a prince - my Prince, that is.


Featuring FROG Jam!  Have you ever tried it?  It's made from a combination of fruits - Fig, Raspberry, Orange - and Ginger.  Delicious!  It seems the time was just right to crack open that precious jar I'd been saving for a while . . .


I first spotted this lovely tray at More Fun Less Laundry, a blog that has become my primer for beautiful living.  


I looked for it everywhere, because, naturally, it was no longer available, until I finally found it in an obscure website.  


The tray box was a mess, and the tray itself was covered in dust, but I didn't care, I now had my own lily pad tray with frogs, butterflies and flowers!  Perseverance pays.  Oh, I'm going to have such fun with this tray!


A blue and green plaid napkin seemed perfect for both frogs and princes. 


 The leafy napkin ring did, too.


And the tray was brought upstairs to the bedroom, so my children's father could have a grand start to his Father's Day celebration . . .


like the True Prince that he really is.


Happy Father's Day, darling!

Joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.

5 comments:

Tenley said...

And FROG jam!!! Seriously, Maria, only you would know of such a thing!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Maria, Your post is so touching! Our fathers are indeed our first Prince and I miss mine so much too. I'm so delighted that you enjoy coming to see my blog and I also love to read yours as I never know what I will find here! I have thought about you during the recent events in Cuba and wondered what you thought of it all. And here you are thinking about FROG jam! It sounds delicious! I will be on the lookout now for some! Linda :)

xinex said...

What a sweet post! I bet you made your prince very happy. That tray is gorgeous!...Christine

Pam Richardson said...

Maria, how I enjoyed this sweet and special post! I still have my Father and he is a prince of a man, as well as my husband! Blessings, Pam @ Everyday Living

Barb said...

Very sweet!