Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Beets!

Orange beets?  I've never seen the like!  Aren't they gorgeous?  Actually, they are called Golden Beets.  I spotted them at Whole Foods on Sunday morning while browsing in the produce aisles.  Every time I do that I get in trouble.  There's always a new veggie that wants to jump into my cart!  I showed them to my husband who immediately proclaimed:  Halloween Beets!  We had to bring some home, of course!


Slice up a red onion, for even more Halloween color!  And, why do they call it a red onion when anybody with a decent set of eyes can see that it's really purple?


I layered the salad on a beet leave.  It's so pretty - and completely edible, too!


We love this salad!  I shared the recipe here,  but this time I used Montrachet Goat Cheese with Garlic and Herbs for a change of pace.  It was so light and creamy!  I'm going to have to use that cheese again soon!  Isn't it fun to change up a recipe now and then?  It's such an adventure!


Doesn't it look good?  Lately, I find that I prefer dotting salads with a Balsamic vinegar reduction, instead of dousing them with salad dressing.  A little restraint really allows for the flavors to come through.


I toss it with my hands, so as not to break the slices.  Sure, broken pieces would be just as tasty, but where is the art?  The tossed beets, with onions, olive oil, salt and pepper are stored in the refrigerator in a covered dish, then the remaining ingredients are added when I'm ready to serve.


With some chicken roasting in the oven, and the salad ready to serve, we turned our attention to the main event for the night - answering the doorbell!

7 comments:

My 365 Project said...

Those golden beets are beautiful! I don't think I have seen those before, but as for eating beet leaves they are good in salads :) One of my favorite things in my garden this year was my lettuce. I found a "garden Mixture" of seeds... it had several different types of lettuce in it so I had different colors and textures, and a few beet leaves fit right in... though I would use young tender leaves I think not the big ones.... it was yummy. Love your table pictures too!

Got My Reservations said...

I love golden beets, and you are right, a balsamic vinegar is perfect for this dish. Great photos!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Maria, When I was a kid my mother tortured us by making us eat red beets and harvard beets, sometimes warm, which my dad loved but all three of us detested!! I actually think your orange beets look delicious although I would have to leave out the onions as I'm allergic to any color--white, red or purple! I first tasted Montrachet goat cheese when I made an Ina Garten recipe and it is so creamy and yummy. I love it and I may have to try your montrachet/beet recipe. My sisters would fall off their chairs in shock and surprise to see me serving them beets! :) Linda

pat said...

Mmmmm...I knew you would be doing something delicious!

The Gardencat said...

I found golden beets in the farmer's market this summer and tried them I like them ( but I like the red ones too). Mine tasted good but the presentation was not near as pretty as yours.

Decor To Adore said...

This looks so fun, festive and delicious! On a side note my mom always called them "purple onions". :)

Have a happy fall day and please stop by to enter my 1000th post celebration giveaways all week long.

Nicki said...

This looks so good - and yes, I too have wondered why on earth they call them "red onions" when they are clearly purple.