Monday, December 31, 2012

A new favorite gadget

If you are a regular reader, you may have noticed the little custard desserts on Christmas Eve.  My vanilla custard, which is really my mother's recipe, has always been a favorite with our sons; click here to get the recipe and step-by-step instructions.


Imagine my excitement when I discovered this wonderful gadget that makes the task of filling the mini-dessert glasses ever so much easier!  Here it is . . . Ta da!


It's called a cupcake pen and it's designed to hold batter that can be then injected directly into the cupcake liners with minimal mess . . .

Note to my blogging buddy, Celine:  YOU NEED ONE OF THESE!  Celine bakes all the time and her specialty is cupcakes and muffins.  Celine, I'm telling you, you will love this!  I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, but I've seen them in other stores as well.  And, in addition to working really well with cupcakes (especially mini-cupcakes), it's also excellent for pudding/custard shots!

Tonight I tried a quick variation:  Chocolate/chocolate chip/pistachio pudding shots.  I used instant Jell-O pudding, and, unless you are a pudding snob (er, that would be me, unfortunately . . . ) these are a fun, tasty dessert that will look pretty stunning on a dessert table.  The pudding is not as good as my home-made custard, but they are pretty good.  Let me put it to you another way . . . they did not last long in the refrigerator . . .


Start out with chocolate pudding.  Once you make the pudding, following the package directions, pour it in the cupcake pen and refrigerate for about 10 minutes . . .  The cupcake pen even has a lid . . . isn't that cool?


Fill the shot glasses about ½ full with chocolate pudding . . .


Add a layer of Nestlé's mini-chocolate chips . . .


Then add a layer of pistachio pudding . . .


Aren't they cute?  Here's another shot . . .


Imagine the possibilities . . .  And I love the concept of mini-desserts.  I've never liked large servings of dessert.  I'd rather have a just a little bit of sweetness.  If I want more, I can always go back for seconds, but this way, there's no waste, and no guilt.

I wish all my friends a peaceful, prosperous, healthy new year.  Thank you for letting me into your homes, and for teaching me so much!  See you in 2013!

4 comments:

Tracie said...

This looks delish, Maria! And, together we will be consistent in our POTD posts, right??? Yes!!

Tracie said...

I always love your blog posts, Maria! Here's to both of us being regular POTD'ers in 2013!!!

xinex said...

These pudding look so pretty and so yumm!...Christine

Nicki said...

How cool! Mini dessert shots sound brilliant.