Monday, February 14, 2022

Valentine's Day Dinner for Two

Sometimes, when I'm not feeling inspired, I rely on the flowers to speak to me.  This year my husband came home with a couple of mixed bundles that were so beautiful and looked so fresh, especially the mini-carnations, that I just knew this would be the starting point.


The whorls continued with the ruffles in these soft pink napkins.  They really did remind me of the pedals of a flower.  


I pulled out the lace placemats from Horchow, which I've had for a while.  I first used them here when my husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary.  Unfortunately, they are no longer available.  The flatware is Jefferson by Reed and Barton, for Monticello.  I've also had it for a while, and have used them here and here, among many other tables.  I love the gentle heart-shaped curve of the handle, perfect for the day of Love!


The goblet and wine glasses are part of my wedding crystal collection — Chartres, by Atlantis.  After all these years I still love them!


The rose gold chargers were a lovely complement to the pink . . . 


So, I decided to pull out the copper tube napkin rings . . .


And the copper hobnail votive holders.


The salad plates are part of the Williams-Sonoma Citrus Salad Plates.  This one is supposed to represent a pink grapefruit.  The set of four comes with a lime, lemon, orange, and grapefruit plate.  It seemed to go so well with the copper that they just fell into place.


And, voilà the table is set!


Time to start thinking about the food, my least favorite part.


To start, a Grapefruit Avocado Salad on a bed of Romaine, with Goat Cheese Crumbles, and a simple vinaigrette with Dijon mustard.  I should call this the Costco salad since all the ingredients were picked up there.  The grapefruits may be the sweetest and juiciest I've ever had, so if you live near Costco, run and pick up a bag!  


The salad was followed by Pan-fried Garlic Shrimp, served with Quinoa Fiesta — a quinoa salad with corn, red bell pepper, jalapeño, scallions, dressed with lemon and olive oil.  


The dinner was delicious and it left us filling satisfied, but not stuffed so that then we could indulge in some sinful desserts!


Dark-chocolate covered strawberries . . .


My vanilla custard (Natilla), decorated with a powdered cinnamon heart in the center.  This is one of my husband's favorite desserts.  Actually, my entire family loves it.  I make it all the time, so to dress it up and make it seem special, I created my own stencil in the computer, cut it out, and used it to create the heart.  


The sugar cookies came from our supermarket, but balanced out the plate, and my husband loves cookies!


And once dinner was finished, the flowers remained, to delight and make me feel loved.

3 comments:

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful table with your gorgeous flowers in the center. Love the pink napkins!

Kim said...

Love your table Maria - so pretty! And the flowers are stunning. Your dinner looks delicious too! Happy Thursday!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog