Thursday, March 19, 2020

Just a little bit Irish

While I was on hiatus last year, we held a St. Patrick's Day dinner for some very un-Irish friends


The guest list comprised Cubans, Mexicans, and to provide that necessary soupçon of Irish blood, we invited my husband.  He's the guy with the green polo by the window, who looks a bit put upon to have to pose for a picture when he'd rather be digging in!  My husband doesn't really know how much Irish blood he has in his background and is not interested in doing a search, however, the litany when he was growing up was “I'm English, Irish, French, Scottish and Italian . . .” usually things would trail off after that, but occasionally he'd add other nationalities just to keep things interesting.


I'm 2nd and 3rd generation Cuban born, my paternal grandfather having emigrated to Cuba from the Canary Islands, and my maternal grandparents born in Cuba.  One of my relatives did some research on the Grimón last name and supposedly it may have originated in Belgium.  So you see, I cannot claim any Gaelic ancestry whatsoever.


And does not explain why I'm so fond of this holiday.  I got the shamrock napkins through a friend who gave them to me with the condition that I should use them once, and then pass them on to another person that might like to use them next, and that person should do the same.  My sister-in-law, Kathy (Kathleen, and of Irish ancestry), now has them.  I can't wait to see how she uses them!


I love party favors!  So, in addition to an Oxalis Plant, everyone got to take home one of these darling miniature books with Irish blessings!


I love the green in these goblets!  Don't they look great next to the green fields in the books?


I can't conceive of this dinner without some lovely Kerrygold butter, and what better way to enjoy this treat than by giving each guest their very own butter dish?  Some things are just to delicious to have to share.  


The napkin rings reminded me of a Celtic knot and they provided a nice contrast against the simple white dinner plates.


I scattered some gold and green fake coins for an extra dose of whimsy.  


Now for the food.  Two big platters of Corned Beef and Cabbage.  It's simple fare, but, oh, so delicious!


And for dessert, Bailey's Irish Cream Bundt Cake, and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream from Baskin Robbins, my son's favorite.


We "greened" the house a bit  . . .


Hoping that a leprechaun would stop by and find the house to his liking . . .


And maybe, just maybe, we'd find his Pot o'Gold!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Dishes:  Traditional by Apilco, from Williams-Sonoma
Flatware:  Jefferson by Reed & Barton for Monticello
Water Goblets:  Williamsburg by Reed & Barton
Butter Spreaders:  Rosewood hadles, by Laguiole
Butter dishes:  Amazon
Table runner:  Pottery Barn
Placemats:  Crate and Barrel
Napkin Rings:  Tortoise Knot by Juliska
Square Platter:  BIA Cordon Bleu, from Amazon
Cake Stand:  HomeGoods

1 comment:

FABBY'S LIVING said...


Oh Maria, so much it's had ! Your hubby is the United Nations and I'm sure it's how it is. Although, St. Pat's is everyone's celeb I always say. When I was growing up in Astoria, NY we all celebrated no matter what background. Actually, all Catholics should acknowledge this special Sts. Day.
Happy St. Patrick's.
Cuidense mucho de este temible virus.
Cariños,
Fabby