Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentine's Day 2017

It had to be red roses ...


The toile placemats depicted such a lovely romantic scene!  He's on his knees, asking for what?  Is he asking for her favors?  Is he proposing marriage?  Methinks the lady needs further convincing ...


In another intriguing scene the lady seems to be listening to the troubadour(?).  No, it can't be a troubadour, his hose and shoes seem too fine.  Is he wooing her?  If so, his technique needs improvement.  He really needs to look into her eyes.  Or maybe he's trying to tell her to go away . . .  Alas!  Men often don't understand a woman's heart.


I have been, once again, transported by another romance from Alexandre Dumas.  Are you familiar with The Sphinx?  I thought I was an AD connoisseur, but I hadn't heard of this one!


Save it for your next vacation, when you can linger, and pay attention to the various strings of the plot and it's many characters.  I loved it!


I used all my French-looking patterns.  The dishes are Mikasa French Countryside, and the flatware is Jefferson, by Reed & Barton for Monticello.  Both have the "fiddle and thread" pattern typical of the 18th century.  The plaid napkins are from Pottery Barn, several years ago, and, finally, the wooden heart I found at Joann's and painted myself.  I needed a heart on the table.


Red goblets were a HomeGoods find several years ago, and the champagne flute are Chartres, by Atlantis, now discontinued - they were given to us at our wedding.


I forgot to photograph the food, but because St. Valentine's fell on a weekday, the menu was simple:  Strawberry Spinach Salad with Sliced Almonds and Poppyseed Dressing, Roasted Chicken with Steamed Broccoli, and for dessert . . .


Two proven aphrodisiacs, at least at our house:  Chocolate and strawberries!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so lovely! I delight in seeing your settings and enjoy celebration with you through your lovely photos. Thank you for brightening our world.