Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gift Wrapping in Layers and Judging by Appearances

I'm old enough now to have heard the little adages . . . “Don't judge a book by its cover” . . . “Appearances are often deceiving” . . . and certainly, I know better than to judge people or circumstances by mere appearance . . . but when it comes to gift wrapping . . . well, I get such a huge kick from a beautifully wrapped package!

Today I wrapped a present for my brother, Al, and my sister-in-law, Kathy. They are celebrating their silver anniversary and their children are throwing them a party. I can't wait for them to open it!

I was so tickled when the writing on the paper matched up so that the letters flowed seemlessly! This is the bottom of the box, of course, but, as Emerson said, “Beauty is its own excuse for being.” There's satisfaction in doing a job well, even if no one will know about it. Well, I guess now everyone in blogland will . . .

The latest trend in gift wrapping, as well, it seems, as in every other area of life is . . . layering . . . Yes, one single type of paper for multiple packages simply won't do . . . How boring! How conventional! We simply must not do matchy-matchy . . . the package should look as though we saved scraps of paper from previous wrapping jobs and mixed them together because we want them, above all, to be unique and show depth and complexity . . .

Let me tell you . . . it takes a lot of extra effort to show depth and complexity while seeming casual, hip and unique . . . and I'm not just talking about gift wrapping!

I love how the wrapping turned out . . . but it would be mere paper without the deeper beauty of Al and Kathy's 25-year commitment to each other . . . their marriage, like most successful marriages I have seen, is far from “matchy-matchy” but reflects their individual personalities, somehow blended together into a lovely whole . . . I am so into layering . . .

4 comments:

Barb said...

How wonderful! 25 Years! Wish them a happy anniversary for us. The gift looks very pretty. What's inside? :)

Chell said...

I love wrapping gifts and have always been into layering and really taking time to wrap things a little different. How fun the paper lined up!1

Nicki said...

I used to be the one that wrapped all the holiday gifts in the family and when I did - it was wired ribbon, matched bottoms, and coordinating paper for multi-packages. Yes, there is satisfaction in a job well done. You wrapped your packages beautifully and Happy Anniversary to your brother and sister-in-law.

Angela2932 said...

Very pretty layers! Just think of all the Martha Stewart shows that will be devoted to this come Christmas time! Thankfully, the award for the worst wrapping does not go to me, I think, but to Amazon! I'm totally underwhelmed by how they end up wrapping things if something is wrapped by them and sent to someone. But paying shipping to me, and then to wherever I want something to go can really add to the expense!