Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Buttons . . .

The film: War of the Buttons, 1962, black and white, French, with Spanish subtitles.

The plot (as best as I can remember): Two Irish gangs of children fight for supremacy.

The spoils of war: The losing gang's buttons.

One memorable scene: One of the two gangs strip naked (very tastefully done, you only see the boys from the rear, but quite shocking for the times anyway) before going to battle so the rival gang can't claim any buttons.

Despite the trailer, this was no Disney movie. It had a serious anti-war message and a fairly deep plot. And yet, I remember so much of it, so obviously, it touched me on some level.

I remember leaving the theatre thinking that it would be a fine thing to have such a treasure, and buttons were fairly accessible! I have saved buttons on and off ever since. You never know when I might need some swag to use as ransom!

I don't seem to save as many buttons anymore. But there are still those extra buttons that come with blouses and coats that you just can't get rid of because the moment you do, that's when you need them! So I put them away in my little button box, and there they stay forever.

Here's a peek at my little collection . . .

I just found out that there's a re-make of the movie from 1994. Now I may just have to check it out.

8 comments:

Joanne said...

I love your button collection! Do I see a little red heart button in there?

Angela2932 said...

Pretty collection of buttons! Want some more?????

Nicki said...

Fascinating - I have always been intrigued with buttons and when I inherited my God-Mother's antique sewing machine, I was most excited about the buttons I found in the drawers.

Suzy said...

I also noticed the heart one! Very cool buttons!

Yolanda said...

Cool buttons!

Denita said...

I've never heard of the movie...but I love your button collection!

Reds said...

Very nice collection - love buttons!

Margaret said...

Love your collection. Very interesting, unique buttons!